Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Magnificence Of Brian Lara!


So finally I jump on to the bandwagon of the big bad world of blogs! Ok, I've been staring at that first line for fifteen minutes now, I need to write something! This isn't as easy as I thought! I'm using too many exclamation marks! Somebody stop me!!!!!!!

Ok, back to some measure of sanity. I've been rather happy the past couple of days because Brian Lara scored a gorgeous century against Pakistan. For some reason, I get a very personal satisfaction whenever my favorite sportsperson or team plays well, so you can imagine how unimaginably thrilled I was when Brian Lara, the one sportsperson whom I admire most of all, got down to some seriously majestic stroke-playing. If there's one reason for people who think cricket is a boring sport to start watching it, then it has to be Lara's batting. Lara's regal drives, his lightning footwork (I've never figured out how he actually manages to remain standing with all the complicated movements that accompany every single shot of his, even the defensive blocking ones), his scintillating cuts and pulls - they're simply out of the world (or at least, out of the cricketing world). How very unfortunate then that this may well be the last year of his cricketing career. He'll be leaving behind a West Indian team that he's tried to very lovingly nurture into a competitive one, but has so far only succeeded in making it an almost mediocre one. Maybe being a brilliant captain was never a part of Lara's destiny, or maybe the West Indian players are just too pathetic to be playing international cricket. One thing remains certain, however-Lara will forever remain etched in cricket lovers' mermories as the batsman who made batting look beautiful. The Pontings and Tendulkars may come and go, but a Lara comes only once in a millennium.

Alright, I think I need to stop the hurrahs about Lara, because I'm pretty sure that last remark that had something to do with a certain Mr. T will not go down well with many cricket fans. But this is just my opinion, and this is my blog, so I think people can understand if I took a few liberties every now and then. So is there anything else I can talk about besides Lara? Maybe I'll do that in my next post. Hmm, I've just read this post, and it sounds a little boring to me. So what oh what shall I do? Nothing, I've decided, other than actually publishing this one and writing a more interesting one the next time. Talk about deciding the obvious.

No comments: