Monday, January 8, 2007

Superheroes, Sunshine And Stumblers


Has there ever been a better pastime than spending a nice, cozy evening at home watching a nice, entertaining movie? Well, perhaps, reading a nice, gripping novel at home could fit the bill. Or going on a nice, energetic picnic. Or if you're a real one for adventure, reading a nice novel at a nice picnic. Have I been using the word 'nice' too often? Anyway, before I continue with this rambling spree, I'll just say that I have been busy with plenty of thrilling pastimes, the most notable of which has been watching movies. Yes, I've been watching movies left, right and centre this past week and I suspect that if I don't stop soon, I'll end up wanting to be a movie critic, because there's only so much trash under the guise of cinema that one can tolerate.

If I have counted rightly, I think I've watched 15 movies in the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately, Superman Returns was one of those 15, and boy, was that movie a disaster! There's absolutely nothing in the movie to hold your interest long enough, and seriously, if it weren't for the somewhat-snazzy special effects, I'd have even said that our desi, homegrown Krrish packed a meaner punch than the singularly miserable Superman. And I hadn't at all expected that from a Bryan Singer movie. What a wonderful contrast, then, to follow that up with two of the best superhero movies I've ever seen - X Men 3 and Batman Begins. X Men 3 is, without a doubt, the most spectacular action movie ever produced in Hollywood, and is more than a fitting finale to a very competent series. Batman Begins, on the other hand, is more of an intellectual, thought-provoking flick, and to say that for a superhero movie is really saying something. To be very honest, Batman Begins is infinitely better than either of the Spider-Man movies. Alas, if only the box office thought so too!

The Star Wars series has suddenly become fashionable on Star Movies, so I duly watched the four of the series that they've aired so far from their promise to show all of the six, and that too in order. So I finally have some inkling of the crazy world of galactic empires and democratic republics and solemn jedi knights. Frankly, for a totally fictional, even fanciful plot, there's a little too much imagination on show in the franchise. Oh well, I suppose we have no right to question the admirable creativity of Hollywood filmmakers. As long as the audience continue to remain awed by their ridiculously resourceful movies, nobody's got any reason to complain, I suppose.

The Devil Wears Prada and Just My Luck were fairly good comedies, though a little too stereotypical for my liking. Little Miss Sunshine, meanwhile, was a very interesting little movie, and the sheer naturalness of its humour and realism of its situations go a long way in making it quite a memorable experience. It's hardly a wonder then that it's being talked up for Oscar success. Bewitched, however, was distinctly woeful, and I was more than a little shocked that they managed to turn such a sureshot script into the shoddy thing that it ended up being. Nicole Kidman was just about the only bright spot of the movie, but even she couldn't really recreate the Elizabeth Montgomery magic. Celllular was another listless movie - someone should've reminded Kim Basinger and Chris Evans that they were supposed to act, and not just do over-the-top theatrics in the movie.

One movie that stayed with me for a long time was Garfield 2. Yes, I know, the movie was a box office dud and hardly created any sort of flutter when it released in India, but for some reason, I absolutely adore all animated movies and animated characters, and Garfield, the one character that has so often made me laugh hysterically over my morning cup of coffee, was simply hilariously fantastic in the movie. The CGI was very very well done, and so were the powerhouse songs, especially the one about the lasagna: pure delight. I honestly don't know why people didn't like the movie. But then again, people do tend to have strange taste in movies, you know....

That's it for today I guess. Anyone who's not watched all of these movies is sure to find this post horribly boring, but there's hardly anything I can do about that, is there? I mean, I've already written all of this, and just cannot make myself write a new post all over again. So that's that. A very good day to you all! (I don't really know why I'm ending with this cheesy line, but I can't for the life of me think of anything else).

No comments: